Saturday 29 January 2011

Poo!!!!!

Oh my!! A day spent shovelling poo, what has my life become???


Gillian took me to where her daughter goes horse riding today to get some fairly fresh horse manure, before we left, Lochlan helped me to cover the whole garden (one bed) with cardboard, so now it is ready for the poo to go on top. I'm not expecting to use this side of the garden this year, so it was ok to use fairly fresh stuff.
Gillian couldnt help with the shovelling, as she has hurt her back, so she helped me guide the trailer in, we parked next to the piles of poo, and I started forking it into the trailer. It took ages!

By the time I had got this far, I was shattered, and my arms were really aching. Fortunately the man (owner??) came over for a chat and to find out what I planned to use the poo for. When I told him, he said "Oh, I could have done it quickly for you with the loader" needless to say, I encouraged him to do just that, and fortunately he did!
I was a little worried as the tyres on Gillians trailer nearly popped under the weight, so we had to remove some of the manure from the trailer, but eventually it was all done, and by the time Rachel had finished her lesson, we were ready to leave.
Once I had had a cuppa, and warmed up a little at home, I went out and started barrowing it onto the garden, now it really was down to me, no loader available this time! It took quite a while, and a lot of effort, but I got the first four barrow loads onto the carboard. It is only a very thin layer, and 4 barrow loads certainly didnt go very far, I think I will need at least another trailer of fresh to cover this garden, not to mention the well rotted stuff for the other garden! I am going to be burning all those new year calories at this rate!

Next week I am going back for some well rotted stuff, so better get a move on laying this load!

No comments:

Post a Comment