Monday 4 April 2011

Quite a few changes

Well, I have been quite busy over the last couple of weeks.
The final beds on the greenhouse side have been dug and manure applied, I have prepared a bean trench for my peas and beans, so all is well on that side.
I cleared the weeds from the black currants and rhubarb, and have applied manure to that area too.
On Saturday I started to plant my onions outside, I have done them in rows, one row of onions started off indoors, then one row of onions sets. I thought if I did them like that, then they should have more space and be ready at different times.
I only got 3 rows planted like that, then stopped, as I wasnt sure if I should leave a 'path'. I have now found out that I should, so I will get the rest planted just as soon as this awful rain stops!

Last weekend I went to a bugs workshop with Moffat Can. We were doing a composting demonstration, but it was still interesting to watch the other talks. I have become quite interested in bugs since, and have been keeping my eyes open to photograph some.
I haven't found many yet, but did snap this common beetle in the front garden.

I have been checking online and in my books, and the good news is, beetles eat slugs!!!! anything which eats slugs and snails is a friend of mine lol!
I spent ages yesterday (mothers day) planting a range of flowers in the front garden. I bought some bedding plants in Dumfries on Saturday and planted 'Bellis' in pots either side of the front door, they look lovely, nice to see a bit of colour after the long winter!
I also planted a pot of 'stocks'which are not in flower yet. I salvaged a bit of what I think is a fushcia bush, which I thought had died off in the frosts, and have surrounded it, but I am not sure if it will survive as unfortunately I broke it when I tried to get it out of the pot it was in.
I also planted begonia bulbs and two 'Dicentra, bleeding hearts' but as these are bulbs, I wont see them for a while yet.
Unfortunately, I didnt take any photos of my flowers, so haven't any evidence to show yet!
I've also started off my sweet peas, so hopefully I will be planting them out in a month or so.
i love shopping in poundland and get most of my seeds and bulbs from there, we have a rose in the front garden from there too and it has survived well for the last 4 years. Unfortunately, because they are a bargain shop, rather than a garden centre, they don't exactly spend much time caring for the plants they have, and I spotted two poorly looking gooseberry bushes struggling for survival on Saturday. They had started to grow, but were really white and sickly looking, as they had no water or sunlight. I just had to rescue them!!! I now have them in a bucket of water. I had planned to plant them today, but it has poured all day, so they will get done tomorrow. Hopefully they will survive!
Seed planting is beginning in earnest this week as I am off school. I still have no glass in my greenhouse, so will be tackling that this week too, even though I havent a clue what I am doing!
If you read this, please leave a wee comment!

3 comments:

  1. I wish I had your lovely rain here. We've been without significant rain for months and months. Can't wait to see your garden grow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. does me good to hear someone talking about the rain in a positive way, sometimes it feels like it never stops here, but it does benefit the gardens I suppose! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You seem to be progressing at a tremendous rate - well done! It can be frustrating when you plan to get certain things done and then the rain scuppers them, but there is always another day. Just remember that you garden as if you are going to live forever, and that there's alweays tomorrow -or the day after, or the day after that, or the one following that etc etc :)

    ReplyDelete