Thursday 3 March 2011

A whole day in the garden!!!!

I had a whole day in the garden yesterday! I did loads, although at times my fingers were so cold, I thought they would drop off!!!
First job of the morning was to start potting up my onion sets. A friend suggested that if I started them off in pots, it would give them a better chance against mice and birds, as they would be bigger, and have roots to hold them in the ground once I plant them out.
This job took ages! I used the old compost left in the driveway since the summer, it was very wet, and VERY cold!!!! It probably wasnt perfect conditions for the poor bulbs, but hopefully they will forgive me! I stopped once and went inside to wash my hands and get a cuppa to warm my hands back up, but eventually they were done!

I still have as many bulbs left though, so will be potting more on Saturday! I used two varieties, both bought from poundland I think!
After that, I started digging another bed. I was a little stuck, as because the previous bed had been slightly wider than planned, I was going to be left with either a very narrow bed, or a very wide bed, which I wouldnt be able to use the middle of without standing on the seedlings!
I decided on the wide option, but didnt take it back to the hedge, so I am going to make two beds in the wide space.
I also spent a bit of time in the greenhouse trying to tidy up, but I was so terrified of the the mice running up my trouser leg, that I was a bit distracted to say the least!!! I'm going to aim to finish clearing it this weekend, then I'm going to set some mousetraps, after all, I dont want mice eating all my plants this summer!!! I'm hoping once that is done, Alex will replace the glass in the greenhouse, then I want to get some wood preservative and treat the wood, before putting my plants in it next month!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment